Skip to main content


In the event of an accident or loss, please contact your Broker or Account Manager as soon as possible during business hours and they will assist you with your claim. 

If the loss occurs outside business hours and you require immediate assistance, please call your insurance company’s claims department directly at the emergency claims number on your policy documents or listed below:

Burns & Wilcox
(855) 801-1296
Chubb Insurance
(800) 532-4822
(888) 693-2253
(800) 607-2424
Intact Insurance
(866) 464-2424
(866) 864-1112
(855) 621-6262
(877) 806-8023
(800) 319-9993
South Western Group
(866) 794-5463
Travellers Canada (incl Chieftain)
(800) 661-5522
(866) 864-1113

What to do in the event of a claim

The attached brochure from the Insurance Bureau of Canada provides valuable information on what you should know if you ever have to file an Home or Auto insurance claim, including the process and roles of various parties in adjusting a claim.


  • What do I do if I am in a car accident?
  • Call police & ambulance if necessary
  • Do not admit liability or fault
  • Take pictures of the accident scene and vehicles involved if you are able to safely
  • Ensure you and your passengers are safely out of harm’s way and document the following:
    • Date, time, location, weather and road conditions
    • Nature of the incident
    • Details of the other party including vehicle make and model, driver’s name, address and telephone number, insurance company and policy number, number of people in each vehicle
    • Names and contact information of any witnesses
    • If a police office attends, note the officer’s name and badge number
  • If police do not attend, report the accident to the nearest Collision Reporting Centre within 24 hours of the accident
  • If the vehicle is not drivable, have it towed to the nearest Collision Reporting Centre (if police do not attend), a repair garage, or other place it can be safely stored
  • Contact your broker or your insurance company as soon as possible and DO NOT allow any repair work to begin prior to confirming coverage with and being authorized by your insurance company.


What do I do if I have a property claim?
  • If you have damage to your building or contents, you should secure the building to protect from furhter damage and/or intrusion
  • If you have had a water damage claim, turn off the water source if possible. Remove damaged items from water if possible
  • If you have had a burglary or theft, you should secure the building and make a list of what was taken. You should immediately notify the Police and make note of the Officer’s name and the Police case number.
  • Track down your receipts or invoices for items that are damaged or stolen, if you have them available.
  • Contact your broker or your insurance company as soon as possible.


If someone is injured while attending at your home or business or is injured as a result of work you have done, you should immediately take notes to document including:
  • Did the person slip and fall? if so, what foot wear did they have on?
  • Were they carrying anything at the time they fell?
  • Who witnessed the fall?
  • Was there anything or substance on the floor that contributed to the fall?
  • What were the weather conditions?
  • Were emergency services required?
  • Did you talk to the person before or after the fall? What was said?
  • Do not admit any liability, either verbally or in writing.

Immediately report any injury to your broker so that a proper investigation can be completed. It is very important to complete an investigation early.